Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cooking

Well, lately I've been trying this cooking thing. I've never really been a good cook, mainly because I just don't have the patience for it (or great multi-tasking abilities...Lauren Gainor you can laugh here). But after five years of being married, I figured one of us had to step up and take the dominant role in this area. And since Garin wasn't making any substantial advances, I figured I'd be the one to take the hit. A good friend of mine down here in FL (who will also be moving with us to Cape Cod, whoop whoop!), has taken me under her proverbial culinary wing; setting me up with a great cook book (America's Taste Kitchen Family Cookbook...highly recommend it!), and helping me out on a couple of dishes to give me some confidence. Thus, I have embarked on a new chapter in my adult life. Here are some pictures of some of my "creations":
My first try at homemade sushi...it came out pretty great! Super Easy to do once you figure out the rice part.

Sushi Experience Package: Veggie sushi, with made from scratch ginger dressing salad (love that stuff!) and egg drop soup. Felt like we were in a restaurant...except I just show up to a restaurant, and I had to work on this ALL DAY!

Meggsie, this one if for you!! hehe. This is my first attempt at a double crusted apple pie (and that ain't no frozen pie crust ya'll...that's made from scratch!!). It came out pretty well...the apples just cooked down more than I was expecting. There was a big open hold between the crust and the apples. My tummy didn't know the difference though :)


Than then this was my first attempt at the lattice peach pie. I think this one turned out better than the apple pie. So, I think I'm gonna have to go with it as being my favorite.
Wow, so I thought I had more pictures...but I guess I don't. Anyway, this new culinary leaf that I'm turning over has gone pretty well for me. I feel like it takes a bit more time and a BUNCH more planning, but I can see that after i get some more practice things might go a little more quickly and efficiently. If you have any recipes you think I should try, send them my way. I'm more than willing to experiment!!

4 comments:

The Dellingers said...

Good job L-dawg!!! I am impressed! :)

lauren said...

killa i am SO impressed!! i would love to be a fly on the wall watching your endeavors! but it looks pretty tasty =) and i did chuckle thinking about your multitasking

Tammy Purner said...

O.K., I've been cooking for many many moons and I still haven't figured out the sushi rice thing. The few times I've attempted it, it just failed. Much much easier to just go out for Japanese. You need to send me your ginger dressing recipe! I love that stuff. Oh, and send me the secret with getting the rice just right! Keep up the good work Lauren. Perhaps you should measure Garin's waist now and then a year from now to see how well your cooking is going. Tee Hee.

Praveen said...

WOW, that pie looks really delicious and so does the sushi. I wish I could have had a piece of the pie. You sure know how to cook well!

Have you talked to Pritesh (Pri)? I haven't heard from him in 4 months.