Thursday, May 21, 2009

Destin - Our Destiny

This past Monday Garin and I decided to take a little trip down the road to Destin, FL. Quite a few people have told me that we really needed to go check it out because the beaches were so beautiful (and they have outlet malls). I wondered how the beaches could be any more pretty than the ones we usually go to, being that Destin is only an hour away; however, I must admit, there was a difference! The water was much clearer and the sand was much softer (and maybe a tad bit whiter, but the sand here is pretty white).

Garin and I set off early Monday morning to drive down there and on the way we drove by an Air Force Aviation Museum (Destin is really close to Eglin Air Force Base). After seeing the planes sitting outside in front of the museum, we "had" to make a U-turn to go back and check them out. So the first hour or so of "daycation" was spent checking out some pretty cool planes (even I will admit they were pretty cool).

After seeing all the "awesome" aircrafts we headed to the "awesome" outlet malls :) The skies were kind of overcast so I felt that it was okay to spend quite a few hours checking out all the stores. Garin was such a trooper...I endured 1 hour of planes and he endured 3 hours of shopping...looks like I got the better end of that deal!!!

When the clouds parted and the sun poked out we headed to the beach to see if they were all they were talked up to be. Even though it was rather cool, Garin just had to take a dip. In the picture below you can see how clear the water is because you can see his whole body even though its underwater.
So yeah, as you can see it looks like we have the Caribbean not that far away from us!!

After our time at the beach we checked out some of the interesting signs we saw on the way in. The first is a picture of "The Donut Hole." Garin was so "surprised" because this was the name he had "come up with" for the donut shop he aspires to open when he finally retires. So of course we had to go try out the merchandise...very good! The next picture is a throwback to my old single days. I wish they had been open so I could meet some of my kin folk; it was cool to see my old name in print though :)

And finally some sunset pictures over the Destin bay:

So there you have it...our daycation to Destin. If you come visit us you might get to take a fun daycation to Destin as well! :)

2 comments:

Kellie said...

Destin is one of my mom's favorite places! We went on several family vacays there when I was younger! Glad you enjoyed your day! :)

Pritesh Garuch said...

Wow, I didn't know they had a "Killough's" in Destin, FL. You have been married for almost 4 years now (in July). You got married so quickly at age 23...congratulations!