Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July

The fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays of the year. As a kid we used to always go to the local parade and either watch or be in it. I have ridden in the parade with many ball teams, on my unicycle, and as a parade "princess". So not being at home for the Fourth of July festivities for the second year in a row has forced me to accept some new holiday traditions.


This year Garin and I got the opportunity to go over to New Orleans to a family reunion with his mother's side of the family. Although we both knew few people, it was neat to reunite with family and see some faces we haven't seen in a while. The reunion took place at a beautiful house that was beside a clear spring water pond. Before it rained in the afternoon we enjoyed a yard game of kickball and a game of "washers" (a new one for Garin and me). Oh and of course there was LOTS of food. Nothing goes down in Louisiana without an incredible amount of delicious food...I think I gain a pound or two while I was there!
Uncle Ted, Garin, and Garin's Aunt Peggy
The Birthday Crew: A.J.-(shoot I forgot how old...I don't want to risk getting it wrong ;), Peggy - 60, and Garin's great uncle Vernon - 90

After spending the afternoon in LA, we headed back to Pensacola to try to catch some fireworks with some friends. Although there were a million people out there, we were able to find our friends and cap off the night with some beautiful fireworks along with patriotic music in the background. Makes me proud to be an American!

The Girls
The Boys
The Fireworks

Thanks to all of you men and women that have served or currently serve our country. Thank you for your sacrifice that enables me to be free and to enjoy my freedoms in this great country of America!

1 comments:

Praveen (P) said...

Lauren; you look exactly the same as you did in the spring of 2004! What are you, 27 now going on 28? I am glad you and Garin had a good time at the parade!