Saturday, March 21, 2009

Choose Life

Well since I've still been unable to find a job (I must admit I'm not looking as hard these days as I was before), I decided that I needed to do something worthwhile with my time. I mean, sewing and scrapbooking and furniture repairing does have its value, but I'm wanting to do something that has a more eternal value. Soooo this week I decided I'd been putting it off long enough and I got my stuff together and headed over to the Pregnancy Resource Center in a our little hometown...and I'm so glad I did!

When I walked in the door and told them that I wanted to start volunteering there they embraced me with open arms and told me how they could put me right to work. So this past Thursday I spent most of my morning and afternoon helping set up for their annual fundraising banquet; then Garin and I got the opportunity to attend it that evening. So far I've met some of the most sweetest older ladies (I think I'm pretty much the youngest volunteer there...I guess most girls my age have jobs!) and I'm looking forward to learning from them and adopting a few moms and grandmoms!

So what is the Pregnancy Resource Center (PRC) you might ask? Well, it is a non-profit ministry that seeks to educate women (and anyone else that is willing to listen) about the risks of abortion and the alternatives that exist. This particular center provides free pregnancy tests (did you know that some abortion clinics provide pregnancy tests and then give false positives so that they can perform a "fake" abortion and collect the fees?), counseling, referrals, adoption information, maternity and parenting classes, Bible Studies, and a store stocked with maternity clothes, baby clothes and other useful baby items (mothers can earn "baby bucks" to use in this store by attending classes at the center), and much more! So in short, the PRC is a place where women can go to receive loving support in their time of need.

A statistic in my training manual states that after experiencing the compassion at the PRC and being lovingly confronted with truth and responsibility, that 80% to 85% of the women that come through the doors will turn from abortion to choose life! How exciting is that?! I'm very excited to have a chance to help out with a cause I believe in and I'm looking forward to the ways God is going to stretch me and grow me through this experience! I'll keep you posted :)

2 comments:

Erin said...

that's great Lauren!

Anonymous said...

Good for you, although I hope you find a job soon. It must be tough not having any income. The economy is currently in shambles though.