Thursday, March 26, 2009

One Year Down...19 More to Go!

Guess what?! Today marks Garin's one year anniversary in the Coast Guard! Can you believe it?! I can hardly believe its been a whole year already! The past year has been quite eventful to say the least. This time last year Garin headed off to Cape May, NJ to embark on his adventure in Boot Camp. After 8 weeks, he graduated May 16th and then we headed to our first duty station in Emerald Isle, NC a week later. A few weeks after we moved we found out that he would be going to Officer Candidate School (OCS) in early August. Thus, at the end of July I moved back to Charlotte and then August 6th Garin headed off to New London, CT for OCS. After four months in OCS he graduated December 3rd and we went back to Charlotte to pack up all our stuff to prepare for our move for flight school. Then on December 31st we pulled up into our rental house in Pensacola FL, where Garin has gone through the first phase of his flight training and is waiting to start the next phase. Whew, like I said, the year-end-review reveals quite a busy year for the two of us in response to the Coast Guard's calling. I can only imagine what the next 19 years will have in store for us...what an adventure!

Well tomorrow Garin and I will be loading up the truck and heading back to good ol' NC to visit family and friends. We will be gone for a week so that means there will probably be no blog updates (i guess its not like I update the block every week anyway, so you probably wouldn't even know we were gone). Hope everyone has a wonderful week and I'll be sure to blog about our adventures when we get back.

Oh, sad news, I think our camera is officially done for. I think I dropped it for the last time and now the lens won't come out (Garin got it for me for our wedding, so I guess its almost four years old...which is pretty old for gadgets these days). So I guess that means its time for a new camera. Anyone have any recommendations? We are looking for a pretty simple "point and shoot" that will take quality pictures...please post your thoughts to help us through the process :)

3 comments:

Meghan said...

yay!! Guess who you are going to see tonight....ME!

Anywho....wow, what a journey it has been for you two...God has blessed you both! Yes, I'm curious to see what the next 19 years will bring. Love you SIL.

Becky said...

Hey Lauren and Garin! It's fun to read your updates! Just real quick answer to your question, Jack and I received a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Digital Elph for Christmas and we LOVE it! It's a point and shoot but takes great pictures. I am the queen of taking blurry pictures but I've not taken more than 3-4 blurry ones since we've got it! Hope that helps and hope NC was fun :)

Praveen (Mr. P) said...

Just seeing this one! Good blog!