Friday, June 6, 2008

Doe Drive...and that's no Misnomer

The road we live on is called "Doe Drive" and we live in "Deer Horn" neighborhood. We have come to know why this neighborhood and road are named after the four legged fawn. The first night we were here we went outside as the sun was going down and saw 3 deer cruising through our front yard (their hoof prints are everywhere!).

One morning I was on my way to the beach to go for a run and I came with in 15 feet of a buck (he had two knobs coming out of his head, so I think it was a boy deer). I guess he had heard about Doe Drive and had come to check out the women deer strutting their stuff down the catwalk. Well, I must say, I was a little anxious as I passed by this budding buck. I've watch enough episodes of "When animals attack" to know that seemly calm animals can turn into predators at any moment. We made eye contact, stared each other down, and I passed safely by. However, I was ready to take him on mano y hoof if he decided to make any aggressive actions. I'm not sure how I would have fared...check out this deer attack that was caught on video...them things are vicious!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khKrd1RNy2U&feature=related

The next morning I went out for my run I decided to take my camera with me to see if I could get a good deer shot. Fortunately the deer didn't fail me. This is a doe chillin in a neighbor's driveway.

I'll keep my eyes peeled and camera ready for the next up close and personal encounter with the Emerald Isle wildlife (did I mention that I saw a fox one night when I was out for a run as well...this place is crawling with creatures!).

0 comments: